6:33 am - Friday April 18, 2014

How I prepared for NUST Entry Test?

I was quite ignorant at that time, I must admit. I was adamant on getting admission in ‘Electrical Engineering.’ So I followed the suite and not only, got admitted in ‘a renowned academy‘ well before my exams were finished but also, dragged a few friends with me.

I had an apprehension what I might be facing but still I was quite astonished when I entered the ‘classroom’ first day. It was a small room crowded with over 200 students. It was the month of July and the three air conditioners seem to have given up against the raising temperature. However, it was the same atmosphere I were to bear for 3 months if I needed to prepare for the test from ‘the academy.’

Before I was out from the shock a teacher walked in and started delivering lecture. I don’t know till this day what was his motive, but he was speaking in such a whispering tone that only those who were sitting in the front rows were able to hear. So instead of listening I started counting the rows and after three tries of counting I was able to determine that I was sitting in 21st row.

After a few days, when I was able to catch up what was being taught, we were informed that we would be having ‘tests.’ Although I have given up the high hopes but still I was expecting some sort of standard in ‘tests.’ Alas! to my dismay, in that crowded sitting arrangement we were handed the questions and asked to solve. With these instructions, the guy; who was distributing the tests, disappeared.

CRAAASSHHHH!!! BANGGG!!!

Most of the Students were feeling relieved and fanning themselves from the question sheets. Some ‘theetas’ were trying to focus on the questions and were working hard on blocking the ‘envoirnmetal effects’ rather than the test. Majority of students relied on the end-of-test-disscussions by the teacher and did not bother to pay any attention to the test.

I tried to cope with this for some days but when it did not get any better I voted for french-leave (literally). I packed my luggage and left for 1 week family trip. “That’s all of an academy for me!”

After having some peace of mind, I  jumped again in what you call ‘Entry Tests.’ Now I tried to have a look at the textbooks (I appeared in FSc exams from Lahore Board). I was most worried about English, because I have been terrorized that NUST Entrance Test (NET) has a ‘deadly’ English section. I obtained a SAT book and tired cramming the word bank but got bored after ‘Abrogate.’

“This was pretty lame,” I thought, “There should be a more intersting way if not an easy one.”  So I resorted to reading the daily newspaper and magzines and novels. (Its far more interesting than studying the dry textbooks for umpteemth time.)

Glad with my success, I tried to find an intersting way for the remaining sections; maths, physics and chemistry. I recalled how our teacher used to train us for the objective part of FSc papers. With a little help from my teachers, I procured a lot many objective guide for these subjects. Then I found a wall clock (wrist watches are sometimes not allowed in Entry tests). Having all these I locked myself in the room and approximating 50 secs for every question, I tried to solve them all. Chapter by chapter I progressed, by the time I was at half -book papers, I had mastered accuracy.

Well, there were certain things that were taught to me by numerous sources . I must admit I would not be able to learn them by conventional sources. Most notorious of them was guessing the wrong answers out. I also learned the subtle techinque of taking hints from other questions.

Last but not the least I learned ‘how to gamble’. If I am in NUST today, it is due to this ‘gambling,’ I have been preaching this practice for past 2 years and with tremendous results :)

First attempt those questions you are 100% sure about. Roughly make an estimate how many of these you have attempted. based on the assumption of 1/4 negative marking (if there is negative marking, it used to be in our times), calculate the maximum points you can salvage, lets say you decided to salvage 4 points and for 1/4 negative marking you get  4×4 = 20 questions. Now for these 20 questions, solve those, about which you are 90% 0r 80% sure.

Now, if I am asked to sum it all:

1. It is good to join an academy, but at your own risk.
  2. You need peace of mind for preparation.
  3. You should have a clear aim where you are heading and prepare accordingly.
  4. There are other shrewd techniques, you need to learn before you appear for the test (For that you may join academy).
Filed in: Entry Test Hunt

201 Responses to “How I prepared for NUST Entry Test?

1. shahzebkhurshid
    June 10, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

i had given net 1 this april…but i had atain only 97 marks out of 200..my matrc percntge was91.4 and first year 75.6 ap kia kehte ho mere merit position kia hoge…plz replyy

• Muneeb Khan
      June 13, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

I would suggest taking NET again!

2. Eliya Sameen
    June 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

my nust entry test is gonna held on 6 july this year!!
    how should I prepare myself to get myself admitted to AMC…..????

• Muneeb Khan
      June 13, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Sorry I don’t have particular information for medical NET.

3. Eliya Sameen
    June 11, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

I have given net 1 nd I got 97 out of 200, my matriculation result was 83.3 percent nd in 1st year I got 76 percent… what would me my expected merit….???

• Muneeb Khan
      June 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

See, NET result or merit positions are based on percentils rather than absolute values, so unless i know result of each and every person I cannot make any remarks.
      However, I would suggest that you should take NET again.

4. shahzebkhurshid
    June 14, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

bhae,,what marks u thnk i should gain to be able to take admsn..

5. Eliya Sameen
    June 14, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

150 atleast!

6. Kashi
    June 18, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

Muneeb bhai my total % is 63.1 including NET and Matric fsc……. Which engineering do u think will i b given with these results????

• Muneeb Khan
      June 20, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

That would be decided after the list is compiled but i think it would not be surely Mechanical/Electrical.

7. Kashi
    June 18, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

i hav completed fsc since last year…

8. Kashi
    June 19, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Muneeb bhai please also explain about the percentile system that how and at wat % its goes….??y

• Sameera
      June 19, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

Ab is sawaal ka jawaab mujhey bhi chaiye… Do tell Mr.Muneeb?????

• Muneeb Khan
      June 20, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Its a bit complex.
      I’ll write a full post about it soon.

• Kashi
        June 21, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

okay

9. deja jani
    June 20, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

mis sameera.! Percentil system is based on complet merit list as in is se ye pata chalta hai k merit list per ap kitne logon se agey ho if u hv percntil as 85% then it means that u r beating 83% candidates on merit list

10. Sameera
    June 21, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

hmmm

11. Kashi
    July 25, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Muneeb bhai my merit position is 4256….. Wat engrng will i get??

12. October 24, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

bhai jan can you suggested me some portion of important things in entry test syllabus???please inform me at my Email” Umairsajid358@yahoo.com“‘

13. Ahmed
    November 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

munneb bhai! i have cleared my F.Sc part 1 2013, i Have got 67% marks in part 1 and my matric % is 75,Kindly,gyide me how many minimum marks should i get in NET-1 December 2013 for computer engineering or BSCS?

• Muneeb Khan
      November 25, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Dear Ahmed!

You meet the minimum requirements to appear provisionally in NET.
      I would ask you to focus on NET now.
      Since NET is a relative grading based test, I couldn’t give you a benchmark on at least how much marks you should obtain.
      Other than that, the English and general knowledge section are the areas where there is always a room of improvement.
      Good Luck! :)

14. Rehan
    December 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

Any reliable mcq books for preparation of engineering NET? Every book that i come by has mcqs that are too easy to be expected in net..!

• Muneeb Khan
      December 10, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Rehan!
      You can try using SAT preparatory books. They can raise the bar a little. :)

15. hamza
    December 20, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

i have 75% in matric , 66% in fsc.and i have only ten days to prepare for net ? what do i do? i am literally freaked out

• Muneeb Khan
      December 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

Hamza!

Take a deep breath and calm yourself down.
      Don’t freak out as this is only going to make things worse.
      For the first 5 days try cramming English Vocabulary.
      For next five days revise everything you have read in FSc and vocabulary you have crammed.

Good Luck! :)

16. February 16, 2014 at 11:39 am #

This should serve as a useful guide. At least it will relieve your tension.

Nust Entry Test. How to Prepare?

17. aleeza aya
    March 2, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

Dear sir, can you please tell me which book I should prefer for must entry test

• rizwan shabbir
      March 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

only prepare text books because any other books like as kips dogars are in short term consepts while text books has all completly concept bases so i suggests to you only focus on yours text books

18. aleeza ayaz
    March 2, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

Dear sir, can you please tell me which book I should prefer for must entry test???

• March 9, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

Your Text book =D :P

19. haseeb
    March 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

Hello ..i get 145 marks in net1 and 85% in matric and 70% in 1st year .can i geteasisly admission in engineerig and in which field? ???

• rizwan shabbir
      March 5, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

in civil

20. haseeb
    March 6, 2014 at 10:48 pm #

And what about electrical and mechanical?

21. March 9, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

i Got in NEt-1 2014 is 135
    fsc is 60%
    matrik is 80%
    in which engeenring i can got admissions?????????

• Muneeb Khan
      March 15, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

It depends on how well others score in NET. you should get a fair idea of how relatvie grading works by reading:

• March 26, 2014 at 1:45 pm #

We want to reproduce your article on our website. Full accreditation to you as author. This is our website blog http://www.pakprep.com (blog not active yet). We shall put accreditation in the format that you require. I would be grateful if you let us do so! I believe this would be very useful for the students.

22. March 15, 2014 at 3:40 pm #

http://www.pakprep.com is an excellent resource to prepare for the entry tests. Definitely worth trying. It is a complete system with following features,

- Smart Analytic to help your prepare better.
    - Compare your performance with the other students.
    - The system keeps log of wrong attempts for future revision
    - 7000+ good quality, error free MCQs.
    - Every single question explained.
    - MCQs sorted by subject, topic and difficulty level.
    - Mock tests for GIKI, NUST, ECAT, MCAT etc format.
    - Complete personal log of how one has performed.

Try today for free and experience the difference!

23. March 15, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

http://www.pakprep.com is the smart way to prepare for the entry tests. Definitely worth trying and better than wasting time at the academies. It is a complete system with following features,

- Smart Analytic to help your prepare better.
    - Compare your performance with the other students.
    - The system keeps log of wrong attempts for future revision
    - 7000+ good quality, error free MCQs.
    - Every single question explained.
    - MCQs sorted by subject, topic and difficulty level.
    - Mock tests for GIKI, NUST, ECAT, MCAT etc format.
    - Complete personal log of how one has performed.

Try today for free and experience the difference!

24. March 18, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

thanks but 140 marks i enough for BSCS???
    fsc 60 nd matrik 80….?????

25. m zubair khan
    March 19, 2014 at 11:15 pm #

sir i have 82.3% marks in matric and 70% in fsc how many marks i require in net to get admission in any discipline?

26. March 26, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

thanks but 140 marks i enough for BSCS???
    fsc 60 nd matrik 80….?????

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How I prepared for NUST Entry Test? | Pakprep.com - April 1, 2014

[…] Source: http://irnustian.com/2011/07/how-i-prepared-for-nust-entry-test/ […]